Community

Pet therapy works wonders, reduces anxiety

“Pet therapy can decrease anxiety, loneliness and boredom. The dogs visit clients at the day programs, the hospital and the Apotex Centre, our long-term care home at Baycrest. We’ve had the program for more than 20 years, and we see the way it works wonders. If someone has dementia, there’s more interaction. People who don’t talk much will actually begin to communicate more.”
 -Janis Sternhill, director, Volunteer Services, Baycrest

It was a full house as models and our four-legged fundraising friends wore co-ordinating fashions by top Canadian and international designers at the October 2016 edition of Dogs on the Catwalk at Baycrest. More than $70,000 was raised in support of Volunteer Services, which includes the pet therapy program.

Thank you to our fundraising pets and their owners, our sponsors, designers, models, committee and co-chairs Gina Godfrey and Mary-Ann Metrick.

Community

The Red Carpet makes an elegant debut at Baycrest

“I applaud our sponsors and members of the community who supported the inaugural year of The BAYCREST RED CARPET Stage and Screen Series! Not only did our friends and community come together for four great evenings of delicious food and entertainment at the Jacob Family Theatre, we raised an incredible quarter of a million dollars to help Baycrest care for older adults.”
                         -Wendy Switzer Myles, Chair of The Red Carpet

Contributing sponsors gain exclusive access to Red Carpet screenings of highly acclaimed films in the beautiful Jacob Family Theatre at the Posluns Auditorium at Baycrest. Each evening has its own theme and there is something for everyone. The sumptuous cocktail hour before the show provides guests with an opportunity to enjoy refreshments and get together with friends.

Join us for the festivities. See our 2017 program.

Community

Fun and brains at Game Night for Baycrest

“Baycrest is really very close to my heart because I saw firsthand how they treated my grandmother during the last few weeks of her life. I am forever grateful.”
                                           -Jackie Orlan, Game Night participant

Hundreds of guests of all ages participated in Game Night at more than 100 homes across Toronto. The hosts were in control of their own parties and made them simple or elaborate to suit their own style. A good time was had by all as family and friends gathered to play cards or board games while doing good to support Baycrest.

Jackie Orlan was among a group of students who took part in one of the Game Nights for Baycrest between January 12 and January 22, 2017, and who later came to Baycrest to present a cheque to Foundation President and CEO Josh Cooper.

Altogether, more than $135,000 was raised for care, research and education at Baycrest. A big thank you to committee co-chairs Erica Godfrey, Lauren Kimel-Wise, Kailee Mecklinger and Hailey Remer.

Join the fun. Host a party when Game Night returns January 11-28, 2018.

Community

Every kilometre counts in Barrie 2 Baycrest ride

“My father was treated here with a form of dementia called Lewy Body dementia. I’m getting close to being the age he was when he got it, which makes it even more important to be riding to be raising money for Baycrest.”

-Elayne Freeman – 4-year B2B rider

Every rider has a reason for joining the Barrie to Baycrest (B2B) fundraiser, which attracted 130 road warriors in September 2016. An overarching theme: These enthusiastic 50K and 100K cyclists are committed to supporting brain health and fitness and recreational opportunities for older adults at Baycrest.

It was the 21st annual ride – with breakfast, lunch and a great dinner party to cap it off – and raised more than $600,000. Thank you to the hard-working B2B committee and our chair, Warren Kimel.

Join the best and most successful intergenerational ride in the GTA. The next ride is September 10, 2017.

Community

Baycrest Challenge: Age 30 years in 30 minutes

“They put me into this aging suit that constricts my movements… It was emotional. I found myself so empathetic toward people who I have in my life who either are experiencing dementia or people who are aging – it gives you such a window into this person’s experience. I am so grateful to Baycrest that they let me take part in this.”

-Zane Caplansky of Caplansky’s Deli on Newstalk 1010

The Baycrest 2046 Challenge is a fundraiser that calls on community leaders to complete 30 minutes of their daily activities in a customized simulation that mimics the experience of physical frailty and living with dementia in order to change perceptions of aging and help people understand the challenges faced by older adults. The aging suit is one of several simulation tools used by Baycrest’s Centre for Education and Knowledge Exchange team to train health professionals who provide geriatric care.

Go to baycrestchallenge.ca to learn more. Watch the video of Zane Caplansky in the aging suit.

Community

Brain Project sparks conversations on dementia

“I was honoured to be asked to represent The Brain Project and work closely with Baycrest. Brain health is a cause near and dear to my heart. I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer’s. It is my sincere hope that our children can grow up in a world without Alzheimer’s and dementia.”

– Sarah Rafferty, global ambassador for The Brain Project

The Brain Project presented by Telus took Toronto by storm and raised $1.3 million in its inaugural year. Thank you to the sponsors, artists, committee members and countless others who helped Baycrest Foundation put more than 100 brain sculptures on display around the city, sparking awareness and important discussions about brain health and aging.

See the commemorative catalogue and sponsor a sculpture.