Skip to content
Facts about hearing loss and older adults
- Age-related hearing loss affects about two-thirds of older adults.
- Individuals with untreated hearing loss are at greater risk for developing dementia and run a greater risk of falls and hospitalization.
- Hearing loss can lead to social isolation, relationship problems with friends and family, loss of income or earning potential, anxiety and depression.
- Only about 20% of those who could benefit from amplification actually wear hearing aids.
- A hearing test is recommended for all those over age 50 – or sooner if hearing loss is suspected – to identify and address any hearing loss as soon as possible.