While you are here
We have a number of educational opportunities available to ensure that students have all the tools they need during their placement and to expand their learning while at Baycrest.
- Department rounds (Best Practice Education Rounds, Psychiatry Rounds, Geriatric rounds, Interprofessional Rounds, etc)
- Insights Into Aging course and certification
- Visiting professor lecture series
- Telehealth events
- Library events
- Workshops and seminars
- Interprofessional Education Structured Sessions
- Lunch and Learn IPE Sessions
- Summer internships
For more information about how to participate in these educational opportunities, please contact the Student Placement Coordinator at ext. 2518
Every term, we offer a number of learning opportunities that are open to all students. Students from many professions at Baycrest are highly encouraged to participate in our five-week structured interprofessional education (IPE) clinical placement experiences or our monthly lunch and learn sessions.
Presentations are selected by the students and offered on a variety of topics, focused on clinical care in a specialized geriatric facility. Topics include:
- Holocaust survivors;
- Mental health – types of dementia, depression, delirium;
- Working with progressive illness – helping patients and families prepare;
- Conflict between client and family or client/family and team
- Cultural differences and influence of care
- Nutrition and the older adult
- Religion and values – decision making, spiritual beliefs, cultural sensitivity
- What is geriatrics – including age breakdowns
- Communication within teams – how to communicate with medical jargon, etc.,
These IPE seminars are accredited by the Centre for Interprofessional Education at the University of Toronto. At the end of the seminar, participants receive course credits (U of T students) or a certificate.
To find out more about this innovative and exciting learning opportunity, please contact Faith Boutcher, director, Academic Education 416-785-2500, ext. 2114.
Download the IPE/C Toolkit and Appendices: