BAYCREST VOLUNTEER UPDATE:
July 7, 2017
What is happening at Baycrest?
- As the warmer weather is upon us, the time for summer clothing has arrived! Just a reminder, volunteers may not wear short shorts. Please see the volunteer manual for the full dress code
- Construction near the Apotex sign in kiosk will be completed around July 24, 2017.
Please continue to sign in using the volunteer kiosk now mounted to the wall. If the kiosk is not working, please record your hours on the log-in sheets
Youth Volunteer Program
Did you know 50% of older adults say television is their main form of company? Baycrest’s Centre of Aging and Brain Health Innovation is hosting a competition to create a solution to reduce social isolation in seniors.
Let’s work together to develop a solution … Make a difference and enter the Innovation Challenge 2017!!!
For more information, download the information package here:
The job shadowing program developed for Baycrest youth volunteers is intended to offer high school and undergrad university students the opportunity to talk to a healthcare professional about their role, and observe their daily work environment, tasks and procedures. This is an added benefit and learning opportunity only for our registered youth volunteers who are interested in a career in healthcare and would like to learn more. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Client Experience Surveyors in the Apotex and Hospital
- Sunday Afternoon Concert- 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Tuesday Games in the Garden- 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Become a speaker/discussion group leader!
Baycrest Learning Academy Speakers Series is offering training for interested speakers. Do you have a passion you would like to share with our clients? Contact Volunteer Services for more information.
Volunteers accompanying clients to programs and/or on outings must be able to push wheelchairs
Movies at the Jacob Family Theatre at the Posluns Auditorium:
- Tuesday, July 11th – 12:45 pm to 3:15 pm
Special Concert for Civic Holiday
- Monday, August 7thth – 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Maple Downs Special Event Concert
- Monday, August 14th – 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
Wagman Centre Fall Open House
- Sunday, August 20th – 11:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Thursday, July 20th – 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 22nd– 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Monday, August 14th – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Managing Responsive Behaviours
Ideal for Youth and Adult volunteers in Apotex and Hospital
Attend this one day workshop to learn how to manage responsive (challenging) behaviours in our clients
Wednesday, July 19, 2017
9:30 am- 4:30 pm
Please register at email@example.com
Registration for the 2017 Barrie 2 Baycrest Ride is now open
Now in its 22nd year, Baycrest staff, volunteers and local community members are invited to join the 2017 Barrie 2 Baycrest Ride taking place September 10. With 50 and 100 km options, the ride is fully supported with snack, hydration, and meal stops, road-side support, a finish line party and post-ride gala. All funds raised at this event support therapeutic recreation programming at Baycrest. To learn more, visit the Barrie 2 Baycrest web site by clicking here or contact Brian Dunphy by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling x 5634.
Paul Falkowski Ph.D, Executive director of Community 360° visited Baycrest to learn more about its exemplary volunteer program. Read his blog here.
Interested in having your memory assessed? Interested in contributing to research? Participate in Research Studies!
Researchers at Baycrest Health Sciences are conducting studies to improve the way clinicians assess memory concerns by developing new tests and interventions for memory problems.
As part of the study, you will partake in clinical and neuropsychological assessments (tests of your thinking ability and mood) as well as an optional MRI scan. You will also receive feedback on your testing.
You may be eligible to participate if:
1) You are 60 years of age or older
2) You are able to read and understand English well
3) You feel that your memory is normal for your age.
Compensation will be provided for your time.
If you are interested and would like to learn more about the study, please call 416-785-2500 ext 3434 or email preventAD@research.baycrest.org.
Contact us for more information or to register:
Call: (416) 785 2500 x 2572
Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BaycrestVolunteers