International students

People come from all over the world for research training at Baycrest, and Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world. The information below is intended to provide information for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows coming to Baycrest from outside of Canada.

More information for international trainees

If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, the offer of a PDF position would be contingent upon obtaining a valid work permit, required under Canadian Law. Please contact the Canadian Consulate in your home country for instructions on how to process your application.

The supervising Scientist and the trainee will be required to delineate the expectations of the fellowship in writing. The Supervisor(s) will record what he/she will provide in terms of academic development, guidance and feedback. The PDF will record his/her expectations for the fellowship. A copy will be included in the post-doctoral fellow”s file in the office of the Director, Research Operations.

International trainees must obtain a work permit (or student study permit) to legally enter the country. Obtaining these documents is the responsibility of the trainee. Ensure that you apply for the proper entry permit before arriving in Canada. Do not arrive in Canada with a visitor’s visa!!! To obtain the correct permit, you must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You must apply for the permit in the country of origin.

To work in Canada, even temporarily, a Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used for administration by the Canadian government. You require a SIN to work and to receive government benefits in Canada. To apply, you need to complete an application form and provide proof of your identity and status in Canada. This will require a passport with employment authorization or student visa; a letter from your employer is useful. Information forms and instructions are available on the Service Canada website at The Service Canada location closest to Baycrest is at Lawrence Square Plaza (700 Lawrence Ave West, Toronto, M6A 3B4). You may also find other Service Canada locations closer to your home.

The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers all essential diagnostic and treatment services provided by licensed practitioners in Ontario. International Research Fellows who will be engaged in research activities for 12 months or more will be eligible for OHIP coverage (more information below). However, there is a non-negotiable, three month waiting period for OHIP eligibility and coverage does not extend to family members. Therefore, all new international Research Fellows must enrol in OHIP replacement coverage upon arrival in Canada. OHIP replacement coverage is provided by the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). * Research Fellows on short term engagements of 12 months or less are required to purchase OHIP replacement coverage for the full duration of their engagement. * Research Fellows with engagements of 12 months or more are required to purchase OHIP replacement coverage for the first three months of their engagement. * Replacement coverage must be purchased for the full duration of residency for all other family members. OHIP Following a three month waiting period, international Research Fellows holding a work permit and contracted to provide research/teaching activities for 12 months or more are eligible for coverage under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Family members (spouse, partner and/or children) are NOT covered by OHIP unless the employer’s letter of engagement indicates you will be staying for three years. To register with OHIP, you will need to complete a Registration for Ontario Health Coverage form, and provide original documents verifying your identity, immigration status and your residency in Ontario (e.g. any document with name and Ontario address, such as a utility bill). Information forms and instructions are available on the Service Ontario website at The Service Ontario locations closest to Baycrest are listed below. You may also find other Service Ontario locations closer to your home. * 4400 Dufferin Street, Unit A4-A5, M3H 6A6 (first light south of Finch Ave.) * 47 Sheppard Avenue East, 4th Floor, M2N 7E7 (south side of Sheppard Ave., half block east of Yonge Street) * 777 Bay Street, Suite M212, M5G 2C8

You must open a bank account that will be used by payroll to deposit your pay. You will need your SIN and/or passport with work permit and proof of address. * Citizenship and Immigration Canada Information on Banks and Financial Institutions Major Banks and Financial Institutions in Ontario: * Bank of Montreal * Scotiabank * CIBC * Royal Bank * TD Canada Trust