The Centre for Education strives to make Baycrest the destination of choice for students & trainees.
Here’s what students told us this year when asked about their experience at Baycrest:
- 78% participated in activities where two or more professions learned about, from and with each other (IPE) to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes
- 83% felt prepared to begin their placement after orientation
- 89% had the opportunities to apply the learned theory/knowledge from school to practical situations
- 92% would recommend Baycrest as a placement to their fellow student/trainee
- 93% would recommend their preceptor(s)/supervisor(s) for future student/trainee placements at Baycrest
- 94% received appropriate assistance to address any questions or concerns they had about their placement
Baycrest has a great working environment and I have always truly loved it here. There are many great scientists here who have a wealth of research experience, which is ideal for a trainee with a lot to learn! We also have access to a lot of great research facilities. The community is extremely warm and helpful! Walking through the halls of Baycrest, you will notice all the lovely artwork that really brightens things up. I feel truly fortunate to be a student at Baycrest!
- Daniela Palombo, PhD Candidate
University of Toronto
I completed both of my Co-op work terms at Baycrest; the first one involved neuropsychological assessment and the second focused on cognitive rehabilitation. I found that the staff encouraged new learning, and I was always surrounded by other students who I could confer and share with. I gained experience with varied clients during both work terms, and also felt empowered that I could help them by providing knowledge or promoting their autonomy. The experience has also aided me in feeling more comfortable within a multidisciplinary environment. I feel that the skills I’ve gained at Baycrest apply to many situations and would be an asset to students interested in health care.
- Ashwini Persaud
University of Toronto at Scarborough Honours Bachelor of Science (Co-operative Psychology Specialist Program- Behavioural Disorders Stream)
Baycrest provided a rich learning environment to apply my classroom knowledge to practical situations. Staff and residents were welcoming, helpful and created a comfortable space to expand my understanding of music therapy. I will take the skills I have learned from this valuable summer internship into my future professional work.
- Emily Carruthers
Wilfrid Laurie University