Falls Prevention Program
Funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Baycrest offers group falls prevention classes in the community. There is no cost for the program.
60 minute class, 1x/week. Duration 10 weeks. Maximum # of participants: 10
Class Location: Baycrest
All participants will be screened prior to starting the class. Intake assessment includes review of relevant medical history, pain and falls history, brief assessment of balance, gait speed and walking tolerance. All participants will be provided with a manual. A medical referral is not needed to apply, however medical clearance will be required prior to participating.
Class format will include:
- Falls prevention education with opportunities to practice strategies
- Falls prevention exercise and balance activities
Falls Discussion and Practical strategies topics may include (15-20 minutes):
- Identification of falls risk factors
- Environmental factors: Bathroom, Kitchen, Bedroom, Stairs
- Community Mobility: uneven ground, ramps, curbs, escalators, etc
- Getting up from the floor after a fall
- Community Resources
- Previous fall in the last 12 months OR fear of falling
- Ambulatory with or without gait aid
- Able to stand with support unassisted
- Medical Clearance from physician to participate
- Cognitive ability/interest in participating in group discussion
Interested in participating?
Anyone interested in participating can contact the Fitness & Health Promotion Department by calling 416-785-2500 ext.2555. Please fax the Referral and Medical Clearance Form to 416-785-2496.
Download the Referral and Medical Clearance Form