Family Advisory Council – Apotex Centre, Jewish Home for the Aged
The advisory council meets monthly to discuss issues that support comprehensive and compassionate care for the residents of Baycrest. The council makes recommendations on many matters of importance to residents. The council also provides feedback on issues that are brought forward from Baycrest staff and administration.
Members are frequently asked to represent the Family Advisory Councils on other Baycrest committees and task groups.
Members must have a relative or significant individual who, at the beginning of their term on the council, are residents of Baycrest, and agree to serve for one year on the council. The council is led by and has volunteer Chairs who are family members.
If you are interested in finding out more about the council and how you can get involved, please call 416-785-2500, ext. 5707.
The mission of the Apotex Family Advisory Council is to support the delivery of comprehensive and compassionate care for residents of the Apotex Centre, Jewish Home for the Aged.
Scope of Functions
- Operates in an advisory capacity, recommending on matters that impact Apotex residents and their families;
- Works in partnership with families, residents and Baycrest staff;
- Considers issues and concerns that may be relevant to all residents or a group of residents but is not a forum to resolve issues and concerns of one family or resident.
The Council is responsible to the President and Chief Executive Officer of Baycrest.
Represents Apotex families;
- Acts as a liaison between families, staff and administration;
- Maintains two-way communication with Family Floor Meetings through representation and reporting;
- Works closely with other relevant Baycrest Advisory Councils on joint initiatives and concerns;
- Meets regularly with key Baycrest representatives to discuss and act on issues and initiatives that have impacted on or may impact on comprehensive and compassionate care;
- Receives and responds to reports concerning initiatives relevant to Apotex residents and families;
- Establishes working goals and monitors results;
- Suggests, supports and facilitates, in collaboration with Baycrest staff, education programs for family members;
- Assists and participates, when appropriate, in program and service planning for residents and families;
- Advocates jointly, when appropriate, with administration and staff on relevant issues;
- Participates in relevant education and orientation programs; and,
- Participates, as requested, in recruitment of staff leadership positions.
Committees and Task Groups
Family representatives sit on Baycrest committees and task groups as appropriate.
The Council sets up committees and task groups as they are needed.
The director and the medical director of the Apotex are non-voting members and act as the Council’s Administrative Liaisons and Facilitators.
Baycrest staff provides administrative support.
Senior Management and other Baycrest staff members attend Council meetings as needed.
A maximum of six family representatives from each floor of the Apotex are members of the Council.
Members of the Council, if they choose to do so, may remain active members of the Council after their family member or significant individual is no longer a resident of the Apotex.
Term of Membership
Each member of the Council commits to serve a minimum one-year term beginning on July 1 of that year and ending on June 30 of the following year. A new family member may join the Council to fill an available position for the remainder of a term.
Criteria for Membership
Members of the Apotex Council must have a family member or significant individual who is a resident of the Apotex when they first become a member of the Council.
Members agree to support the Mission Statement of the Council, and also to support Baycrest’s Mission Statement, Vision, and Values.
Members agree to regularly attend meetings of the Council and Family Floor Meetings, review materials and, as able, participate on task groups and committees.
If a member does not attend two consecutive meetings a Chair and/or Administrative Liaison may contact them to see if they are still willing and able to fulfill their responsibilities as a member of the Council.
Families, residents, or staff on each Apotex floor may nominate new members. Also, family members interested in becoming a Council member may contact a Chair and/or Administrative Liaison.
A Chair and/or Administrative Liaison interviews prospective members and reports back to the Council.
The Executive of the Apotex Council is comprised of a Chair and a Vice-Chair; however, if necessary, there can be more than one Chair and/or one Vice-Chair.
Members of the Executive (when they first become a member of the Executive) must have a family member or significant individual who is a resident of the Apotex.
Members of the Executive are selected by the Council and affirmed at its June meeting for a one-year term, beginning on July 1 of that year and ending on June 30 of the following year. If during this term a position on the Executive becomes vacant and there is no other member of the Executive able and willing to assume this position, then the Council at its next meeting selects and affirms one of its members to assume this position for the remainder of the term.
An individual may serve for a maximum of three consecutive terms in a specific Executive position.
After their term on the Executive, an individual may continue to serve on the Council as a member.
Regular Council meetings are held at least nine times per year. Special meetings are held as needed.
- July 10, 2023
- August 14, 2023
- September 11, 2023
- October 16, 2023
- November 13, 2023
- December 11, 2023
- January 8, 2024
- February 12, 2024
- March 11, 2024
- April 8, 2024
- May 6, 2024
- June 10, 2024
- January 13, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- March 2, 2020
- April 13, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- June 17, 2019
- July 8, 2019
- August 12, 2019
- September 9, 2019
- October 7, 2019
- November 11, 2019
- December 9, 2019
- Monday, January 8, 2018
- Monday, February 12, 2018
- Monday, March 12, 2018
- Monday, April 9, 2018 (Passover – March 30-April 7)
- Monday, May 14, 2018
- Monday, June 11, 2018
Meetings are open to family members to attend as guests; however, those interested must make a request beforehand through a Chair or Administrative Liaison.
Circulation of Minutes
The minutes are broadly circulated to families, relevant Baycrest Councils, Family Floor Meetings, the Program and Quality Committee of the Board, Senior Management, and other appropriate Baycrest staff.
Apotex – Family Advisory Council | Baycrest
Review of Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference are to be reviewed bi-annually at the January meeting of the Council and any necessary changes shall be made.