Falls Prevention Program
Funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Baycrest offers group falls prevention classes in the community. There is no cost for the program.
75-minute class, 1x/week.
Duration 10 weeks.
Maximum # of participants: 10
Class Location: Baycrest
All participants will be screened prior to starting the class. Intake assessment includes review of relevant medical history, pain and falls history, brief assessment of balance, gait speed and walking tolerance. A medical referral is not needed to apply, however medical clearance will be required prior to participating.
Class format will include:
- Falls prevention education with opportunities to practice strategies (20-30 minutes)
- Falls prevention exercise and balance activities (45 minutes)
Falls Discussion and Practical strategies topics may include (20-30 minutes):
- Identification of falls risk factors
- Movement Strategies- Reaching, Bending, Turning
- Environmental factors: Bathroom, Kitchen, Bedroom, Stairs
- Community Mobility: uneven ground, ramps, curbs, escalators, etc.
- Fall Recovery
- Previous fall in the last 12 months OR fear of falling
- Ambulatory with or without gait aid
- Able to stand with support unassisted
- Medical Clearance from physician to participate
- Cognitive ability/interest in participating in group discussion
- Must be aged 65 or older to participate
Interested in participating?
Anyone interested in participating can contact the Falls Prevention and Exercise Program by calling 416-785-2500 ext.2555. Please fax the Referral and Medical Clearance Form to 647-788-2197.
Download the Referral and Medical Clearance Form